Updated: 27. January 2020.
Istria is called the ‘Terra Magica’. It is a true cultural mosaic whose heritage comes from the Histrians, Celts, Romans through to the Byzantines, Slavs and Venetians. And all the way to the Austro-Hungarian Empire!
Also, Istria is feast for the eyes. Its streams flow to the sea through deep valleys and hills which bring to mind the ancient local myths about giants. Here you can enjoy spoon of minestrone soup with broad beans or a delicious truffle (pasta, cheese etc). Fragrant drops of the native ‘Malvazija Istarska’ or ruby-coloured ‘Teran’ – is a must!
Truffle season info: black truffle (May-October) – white truffle (September-January)
Istrian truffle hunting experience was recommended by New York Times (read article)
– leaving Zagreb 8:30am (hotel pick-up)
– on the way to Istria, short stop in Severin na Kupi town (castle visit + wake-up coffee)
– lunch in town of Viškovo, near Rijeka (fresh seafood and local wine)
– sightseeing in town of Hum (the smallest town in the world)
– check-in farm house/overnight Agritourism Dol or Agritourism Ograde/ details here
– finger-food dinner (prosciutto, cheese, olive-oil, bread & wine)
– breakfast at the farm house
– truffle hunt with licensed ‘truffle hunter’ Nikola Tarandek and his dogs
– local beekeeper visit, short presentation on beekeeping and honey production
– town of Motovun visit – sightseeing of charming hilltop town-fortress
– truffle lunch (Istrian traditional cuisine/local wine, not included in tour price)
– wine-tasting at Fakin or Benvenuti boutique winery (3 wines & finger-food)
– driving back to Zagreb or elsewhere (can be customized, just ask)
Included: transportation (car/mini-van), castle visit+coffee, seafood lunch (Day 1), Hum sightseeing, finger-food diner, farm accommodation, breakfast, truffle hunting, Motovun sightseeing, wine-tasting at the small boutique winery (meet the wine-maker)
Not included: truffle lunch (Day 2), circa 35 EUR per person
Note: this tour starts from Zagreb or elsewhere. Please, state start point in Booking Form (below). You can customize your drop-off location, too.